Monday, October 13, 2014

Week 9 Reading Diary: Alaskan Legends

Reading Diary - Alaskan Legends


  • The Raven Myth: Raven’s Creation
    • Oh look, Pod People! Could do an alien twist on it
    • Raven has a mask and turns into a man? Definite sci-fi vibes
    • The animals marching two-by-two, the wolves, the sheep, and the kangaroo and they all went marching, marching two-by-two
    • “This is why woman is fair-skinned” Oh my God Karen, you can’t just ask people why they’re white! (quote from Mean Girls)
  • TRM: Raven Creates the People
    • … Mosquitoes make earth cheerful?
  • TRM: The Skyland and the Sea
    • I like the idea that we turn into bears while sleeping
  • TRM: Raven-Boy and the Sun
    • that’s a really interesting reason for why the sun leaves
    • kinda makes me think of a little drabble I read a long time ago
      • cannot see the sun and so while some beg, others adapt. They take the moon as their guide and listen to the sea instead of the air and it’s birds. As time goes on they meet other people who still worship the sun. Hmm, could redo the neat part of that little story.
  • The Flood
    • That was a highly ineffective punishment
  • The Origin of the Tides
  • Raven’s Feast
  • Raven’s Marriage
    • that’s the most interesting marriage story I’ve ever heard
  • Raven and the Seals
    • he turns into Anansi in this one
  • Raven and Pitch
  • Raven and Marmot
  • The Bringing of Light by Raven
    • It’s like a retelling of the first one, with Raven-Boy being a normal kid with a Raven coat
    • Snow-hill makes the light disappear. This reminds me of when I drove down a hilly road and the guy behind me had his brights on. He was just far enough behind me that I couldn’t see him, but the road would get brighter and darker as he crested the hills behind me. I started seriously thinking it might be a UFO (it certainly pulsed like in the movies) but then the dude sped up and I noticed the car and figured it out.
    • This sounds more like the usual kind of tale for night and day
  • The Naming of the Birds
    • Grouse and Sea-Lion understand each other because they throw pebbles at humans to kill them? Pfft...
  • How Raven Stole the Lake*
    • it’s really interesting that they have a story about Raven stealing their lake to go teach other tribes with it.
  • Origin of the Chilkat Blanket
    • really, really pretty story
  • The First Woman
    • I love how it has included proof so you don’t question the tale
  • Origin of the Winds
  • The Land of the Dead
    • Dude, that’s so totally a parallel of Inferno
  • The Ghost Land
    • I’m pretty sure there are better ways of committing suicide
  • The Lost Light
    • do a combo with this story and Raven-Boy and the Sun? Could be how I get the kid to the tribe
  • The Boy in the Moon
    • the sun feeds the moon and that’s how it ‘waxes’? Very different
  • Cradle Song
  • The Wolves and the Deer
    • what an awkward party
  • The Last of the Thunderbirds
    • Thunderbirds, HO!!!
  • Origin of the Killer Whale Crest
  • The Discontented Grass Plant
    • moral of the story? Some people are just never happy
  • Tricks of the Fox
    • no matter where the tale is from, foxes are always tricky

2 comments:

  1. Hello again,
    Since I have already commented on your introduction I have to comment on a random post. I know it is weird to comment on your reading diary post, but I like yours so much! You take notes so well and they are organized and everything. How do you not accidentally slip into summary mode when writing your notes? I am always tempted to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked really hard, and started listening to audio books when possible, just writing something down when it struck me instead of summarizing. Thinking of it more as "Possible storybook/essay topics" instead of notes helped too

      Delete